A spin on the tasty family favourite, these minced beef meatballs have a hidden agenda – they’re heavy on the vegetables, but your kids will never suspect a thing! Cooked in a quick homemade tomato sauce and topped with grated cheese.
439kcals, 11.2g fat (3.4g saturated), 44.8g carbs, 5.8g sugars, 38g protein, 3.4g fibre, 0.204g sodium
|For the meatballs:
|1 small carrot, roughly chopped
|10 mushrooms, roughly chopped
|1 small onion, roughly chopped
|2 garlic cloves, peeled
|500g lean beef mince
|1 tsp dried oregano
|1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
|1 egg yolk
|Salt and black pepper
|Olive oil, for cooking
|For the sauce:
|1 tbsp olive oil
|½ an onion, finely chopped
|1 red pepper, finely chopped
|3 garlic cloves, crushed
|2 tbsp tomato purée
|1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
|500ml tomato passata
|½ tsp dried oregano
|½ tsp dried basil
|Pinch of sugar
|Cheddar or Mozzarella, grated
- In a food processor or mini chopper, combine the carrot, mushrooms, onion and garlic. Whizz until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped vegetables with the remaining meatball ingredients, except for the oil. Use clean hands to mix together until just combined, but do not over-mix.
- Shape the mixture into meatballs measuring 3-4cm in diameter.
- Heat a little oil in a large pan and brown the meatballs on all sides, working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan and adding a little more oil for each batch if needed. When the meatballs are browned, remove them to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onion and red pepper for about five minutes, then add the garlic and tomato purée and cook for another minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, passata, oregano, basil, sugar and some salt and pepper. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer, then add the spaghetti, pressing it down slowly until all of the strands are in the sauce. Allow to bubble for 15-18 minutes until the pasta is cooked, adding the meatballs for the last 10 minutes.
- Divide the spaghetti and meatballs among serving bowls and sprinkle with grated Cheddar or Mozzarella before serving.