Italian baked eggs in spicy beef and tomato sauce
A simple but hearty dish, this is a variation on Turkish or North African baked eggs which has more of an Italian twist. BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE-COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!
|1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped|
|200g minced beef|
|2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced|
|½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)|
|1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes|
|2 large eggs|
|1 tbsp parsley, chopped (optional)|
|1 tbsp vegetable oil for frying|
|Salt and black pepper|
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook at a medium heat for 5 minutes until starting to turn golden.
- Then add the minced beef and cook until the mince has browned.
- Add the garlic and chilli flakes (if using) and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.
- With the back of a large spoon, create two indentations in the sauce. Crack an egg into each one of these. Cook the eggs for about 15 minutes, or until they are done to your liking.
- If using, sprinkle the chopped parsley on top and bring the pan to the table to serve.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with steamed green beans and crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Other Tasty Recipes
Rate our Recipe×
|Country of origin:|