Mixed whole peppers stuffed with a mixture of brown rice, Hereford lean beef mince, tinned tomatoes and grated Cheddar.
Per serving (1 pepper): 253kcals, 8.4g fat (2.9g saturated), 23.1g carbs, 6g sugars, 23.9g protein, 3.6g fibre, 0.217g sodium
|100g brown rice (or long grain rice)|
|6 green peppers|
|Salt and black pepper|
|1 tbsp olive oil|
|450g Hereford lean beef mince|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|½ an onion, chopped|
|1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes|
|1 tsp Worcestershire sauce|
|120g Cheddar, grated|
- Cook the rice according to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- Cut around 1cm from the tops of the peppers. Pull out and discard all of the membranes and seeds.
- Cut the stalks from the tops and discard. Chop the rest of the pepper tops and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the whole peppers and cook for five minutes, then drain well and allow to steam dry for five minutes. Season the insides with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the beef mince for 6-8 minutes or until no pink parts remain, stirring and breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Add the cumin, onion and chopped pepper tops and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and some salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked rice and 100g of the cheese, then remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Stuff peppers with the beef mixture and place upright in a baking dish. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the peppers and return to the oven for five minutes. Serve immediately.