Per sausage roll:
388kcals, 28.9g fat (4.2g saturated), 23.8g carbs, 0.5g sugars, 7.8g protein, 1g fibre, 0.121g sodium
|500g pork sausage meat|
|2 tbsp wholegrain mustard|
|2 tbsp sage, finely chopped|
|Salt and black pepper|
|Plain flour, for dusting|
|1 x 500g block of puff pastry|
|1 egg, beaten|
- In a bowl, combine the sausage meat, mustard, sage and some salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll the pastry out into a long rectangle around 30 x 45cm. Shape the sausage mixture into a long log and place lengthways down the middle of the pastry.
- Use the beaten egg to brush down one side of the pastry. Fold the other side over the meat, then lift the eggwashed edge over this to seal. Turn over so that the seal is at the bottom. Transfer to the prepared baking tray.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the sausage roll into 12 equal sections, cutting only about three-quarters of the way through so that the sections are still attached at the bottom. Join the two ends together with a little more egg wash to form a circle.
- Gently twist each piece of sausage roll over, without tearing it from the main body, so it is filling-side up. Brush any exposed pastry with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden and cooked through. Fill a small bowl with tomato relish and place in the centre of the circle for dipping.