A delicious mix of sautéed mushrooms with spinach and herbs wrapped in light crispy pastry.
Per Serving: 325 kcal, 13.4g Fat (1.6g Saturated), 36.9g Carbs (1.6g Sugars), 9.8g Protein, 8.6g Fibre, 0.445g Sodium
|Serves:||4 to 6 portions|
|Pastry (vegan phyllo)|
|250g spelt flour or wholemeal|
|95g avocado puree|
|80 -90g hot water|
|2tbls vegetable/olive oil|
|2tsp garlic, crushed|
|1 medium onion, finely diced|
|1 celery stalk, finely chopped|
|2tsp thyme, freshly chopped|
|600g mixed mushrooms, sliced & quartered|
|1tbls spelt flour or wholemeal|
|125ml white wine, dry|
|50ml water or soya milk|
|1tsp English mustard|
|3tsp grated vegan parmesan cheese|
|160g vegan grated cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, feta, blue cheese etc.)|
|Salt & black pepper|
|200g spinach, blanched|
|Soya milk /poppy seeds for the top|
- Pastry: Add the flour and salt to a food processor bowl and mix to combine. Add the avocado and blend in. Add the hot water, a little at a time and blend together. You may need a little more or less water, depending on the flour absorption. Knead for about 5 minutes in the machine. When ready the dough should be moist and pliable, but not too sticky. Scrape out of the food processor and wrap the dough and allow to rest on the side.
- Filling: Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion, garlic and celery together until softened. Add the mushrooms and the thyme and cook for a few minutes until mushrooms have lightly softened. Sprinkle with flour and then add the water & white wine and mix through. Cook for a few minutes to thicken.
- Add the walnuts, English mustard and parmesan cheese. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Mix should be stodgy. Allow to cool before assembling wellington.
- Preheat the oven to 200’c
- Assembly: on a floured surface, roll the pastry out as thin as possible to a rectangular size, drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Layer the filling near the edge of the one long side of the pastry, spinach, mushrooms, cheese, spinach, mushrooms, cheese. Roll up the pastry with the filling and gently lift onto a greased/lined baking tray. Brush with soya milk and bake for 15 minutes. Take out the oven and brush again with milk and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for another 15 minutes until evenly browned. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Cooks tip! Instead of making your own pastry, reduce time and use shop bought vegan phyllo pastry or vegan puff pastry.