Per Serving 173kcals, 9.7g fat (6.8g saturated), 20.7g carbs (0.3g sugars), 1.6g protein, 0.3g fibre, 0.165g sodium
20 minutes [+1 hour inactive]
|Serves:||Makes about 20|
|225g butter, at room temperature|
|200g caster sugar|
|½ tsp salt|
|1 large egg, beaten|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|225g plain flour|
|Green and red food colouring|
|2 tbsp icing sugar|
|Water, to make the icing|
- In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and salt.
- Fold in the beaten egg, vanilla and flour, mixing until the dough comes together. Divide into three even pieces. Add food colouring to make one red and one green, leaving the third piece plain.
- Roll each piece out into a 20cm square. Place the squares on top of each other, then roll up tightly like a Swiss roll. Wrap in cling film and chill for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Remove the cling film from the cookie dough. Slice the roll into 1cm-thick discs and lay on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until the edges are golden. Allow to cool on the tray for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the icing sugar with enough water to make an icing.
- Roll the edges of the cookies in the water icing, then dip and roll in the sprinkles.