This tasty and nutritious salad is great as a meal on its own (serving 2 people), or as a side to a steak dish serving 4 people.
|2 tablespoons toasted pine kernels|
|1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar|
|3 tablespoons olive oil|
|1 teaspoon honey|
|4 baby beets, ends removed, peeled, and cut into halves|
|Salt and pepper|
|80-100g mixed salad greens|
|8 slices halloumi cheese, about 1/2 cm thick|
|2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds|
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C fan oven/Gas mark 6.
2. Toss the beets in a small amount of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the rack from the oven and sprinkle the pine kernels and pumpkin seeds onto the baking tray and cook for a further 10 minutes. The beets should be soft on the inside and the seeds nicely toasted.
3. Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Divide the salad greens and place on two plates.
5. Once the beets are cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes
6. In a non-stick frying pan, cook the slices of halloumi for 2-4 minutes on medium heat. Once they are firm and light brown in colour, turn them over and repeat on the other side.
7. Place the beets, seeds and 4 halloumi slices on each salad. Drizzle the dressing over.
8. Serve while the halloumi is still warm.