Grated potatoes are shaped into potato cakes and fried (or baked) until crisp, then served with cream cheese, chopped chives and smoked salmon.
Per serving: 560kcals, 20.1g fat (11.5g saturated), 72.8g carbs, 7.1.g sugars, 22.3g protein, 7g fibre, 1.892g sodium
|Serves:||Makes 8 small pancakes|
|Cream cheese (to serve)|
|Smoked salmon (to serve)|
|Chives, snipped (to serve)|
|1kg floury potatoes|
|150g plain flour|
|Pinch of sugar|
|1 tsp salt|
|¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda|
|Splash of milk|
|Butter, for frying|
- Grate the potatoes into a mixing bowl.
- Wrap the grated potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze very well, removing as much liquid as possible.
- Place the grated potato in a large mixing bowl and pour over the buttermilk.
- Add the flour, sugar and salt.
- Stir to combine into a thick batter.
- In a jug, mix the bicarbonate of soda with a splash of milk. Stir the milk into the potato mixture.
- Melt a knob of butter in a heavy frying pan over a medium heat. Add some of the mixture and flatten into a ½cm-thick round.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Keep warm in a low oven while you repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve two potato pancakes per person, topped with a dollop of cream cheese, 1-2 slices of smoked salmon and some fresh chives.