Mustard Glazed bacon and cabbage
Per Serving 459kcals, 19.7g fat (8.1g saturated), 27.1g carbs, 15.4g sugars, 43.8g protein, 4.3g fibre, 2.1g sodium
|1.5kg loin of bacon|
|1 peeled and quartered onion|
|2 chopped sticks celery|
|2 peeled and chopped carrots|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 tbsp whole cloves|
|2 tbsp honey|
|2 tbsp brown sugar|
|1 tbsp Dijon mustard|
|1kg finely sliced cabbage|
|For the parsley sauce:|
|30g plain flour|
|Salt and black pepper|
|3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley|
- Place the bacon joint in a large saucepan and fill with cold water. Add the onion, celery, carrots and bay leaves. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ hours, skimming off any white froth from the top as needed.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Remove it from the pan, reserving the water. When cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife to remove the rind from the bacon and cut a crisscross pattern into the layer of fat.
- Place the bacon in a roasting dish and stud each crisscross intersection with a clove.
- Mix together the honey, brown sugar and mustard, then spread all over the bacon. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until browned. Leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter for the parsley sauce in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for two minutes until combined.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the milk until completely smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley.
- Place the cabbage in a saucepan and barely cover with some of the reserved cooking water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for three minutes. Drain well and toss with the butter.
- Serve the sliced bacon on a bed of cabbage and mashed potatoes with the parsley sauce poured over.
Other Tasty Recipes
Rate our Recipe×
|Country of origin:|