Make a meatloaf, then cut, wrap and freeze individual slices to have lunches sorted for a week! Cold meatloaf is fantastic in these sandwiches with sliced cheese, lettuce and tomato.
427kcals, 11.8g fat (4.2g saturated), 46.8g carbs, 8.4g sugar, 34g protein, 2.8g fibre, 0.276g sodium
1 hour 20 minutes
|Serves:||Makes about 10|
|2 slices of white bread, crusts removed, torn into small pieces|
|100ml fresh milk|
|1 tbsp olive oil|
|1 small onion, finely chopped|
|1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped|
|1 celery stalk, finely chopped|
|3 garlic cloves, crushed|
|½ tsp dried thyme|
|1 tbsp tomato purée|
|500g beef mince|
|400g pork sausages, meat squeezed out of the skins|
|2 large eggs, beaten|
|1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce|
|Salt and black pepper|
|2 tbsp brown sugar|
|2 tbsp yellow mustard|
|For each sandwich:|
|2 slices of wholemeal bread|
|2 slices of Cheddar Cheese|
|Butterhead lettuce leaves|
|1 medium tomato, sliced|
- Heat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and place a rack in the bottom third of the oven. Line a baking tray or baking dish with tin foil.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread pieces and the milk. Allow to stand for 7-8 minutes until the bread has broken down into a thick porridge, stirring occasionally and squashing the bread against the sides of the bowl to help it break down.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 6-8 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the thyme and tomato purée and stir to coat the vegetables. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef mince, sausage meat, beaten eggs, Worcestershire sauce, soaked bread and milk, the cooked vegetables and some salt and black pepper. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together until just combined – do not over-mix.
- Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the prepared baking tray or dish. Shape it into a loaf roughly 25cm long.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Spread half of this mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes, then spread with the remaining ketchup mixture. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes until cooked throughout.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Carefully transfer to a cutting board, then cut into about 10 slices.
- Once completely cool, wrap the slices individually in cling film and store in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze for up to three months.
- To assemble each sandwich, spread two slices of bread with a little mustard. On one slice, place a slice of meatloaf, some sliced Cheddar, 2-3 lettuce leaves and some sliced tomato. Sandwich together with the other slice of bread. Cut the sandwich in half and wrap in cling film.
Other Tasty Recipes
Rate our Recipe×
|Country of origin:|