Make-Ahead Bolognese Sauce
Save time by making Bolognese Sauce in bulk and freezing it for later. Our delicious Make-Ahead Bolognese Sauce recipe is versatile and once defrosted can be served with spaghetti, made into a pasta bake, used to stuff peppers for roasting or made into a lasagne.
|4 tbsp olive oil|
|2 finely chopped onions|
|3 finely chopped carrots|
|2 finely chopped celery stalks|
|6 crushed garlic cloves|
|1 tbsp dried oregano|
|2 tsp dried basil|
|2 bay leaves|
|500g sliced mushrooms|
|1½kg beef mince|
|4 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes|
|800ml tomato passata|
|150ml beef stock|
|3 tbsp balsamic vinegar|
|2 tsp sugar|
|Salt and black pepper|
- Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large pan over a high heat. Cook the mince in three separate batches, stirring and breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon. Making sure each batch is completely browned throughout before transferring to a large bowl and moving on to the next batch.
- Heat the oil in a very large pot over a medium-low heat. Cook the onions, carrots and celery for 15 minutes until soft and golden.
- TIP: Grate vegetables rather than chopping them to hide them for fussy eaters.
- Add the garlic, oregano, basil, bay leaves and mushrooms and cook for five minutes longer. Add the mince and tomato purée and stir to combine.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato passata, beef stock, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Season generously and bring to a simmer. Simmer slowly for one hour until thick.
- Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature before freezing.
- To freeze, divide the mixture between 12 sealable freezer bags. Squeeze as much air out as possible before sealing.
- TIP: Place the freezer bags flat in the freezer, allowing you to stack them.
- Fully defrost individual portions overnight in the fridge as needed.
- Heat in a large pot over a medium-high heat until bubbling. Serve with cooked pasta and grated Parmesan
Or try it with:
- Pasta bake
- Bolognese sloppy Joes
- Stuffed peppers/courgettes
- Cottage pie
- Baked potatoes
Other Tasty Recipes
Rate our Recipe×
|Country of origin:|